Governance of Operation Campus Montpellier: a method based on partnerships between public contracting authorities.
Operation Campus, launched by the State, is a vast initiative to improve higher education and research. It aims to renew and dynamise existing campuses to create living spaces, enhance campus life, unify the major campuses of the future, and increase their international profile.
Operation Campus Montpellier is based on a partnership between the various project stakeholders:
2) The higher education and research establishments benefiting from Operation Campus: The University of Montpellier, Paul-Valery Montpellier 3 University, Montpellier Higher Institute of Chemistry, Montpellier SupAgro and CROUS Montpellier.
To make the Montpellier Operation Campus project a success, the stakeholders in the project decided to join forces with ComUE Languedoc-Roussillon Universités and to give them responsibility for the supervision and operational management of the project. As the privileged point of contact with the French Ministry of National Education, Higher Education and Research (MENESR), and the representative of the institutions, ComUE Languedoc‑Roussillon Universités works with its partners to define the building and development plans, and is responsible for their coordination, implementation and management.
The ‘Site partnership agreement’ of 16 December 2009 defines the stakeholders’ respective commitments in relation to the execution of the Operation Campus projects.
The following funding has been provided by public partners towards achieving this ambition:
- The State - interest from a capital grant of €325 million, paid annually.
- The Languedoc-Roussillon Region - investment budget of €162.5 million for university operations.
- Montpellier City Council - budget equivalent to €60 million for urban development.
- Montpellier Méditerranée Métropole - construction of Line 5 of the tram system, which should provide extensive services to the universities.
A Steering Committee has been set up. Through its recommendations, it ensures that Operation Campus is correctly implemented. It coordinates the public entities responsible for different parts of the project, whether as funding providers, contracting authorities, adjudicating authorities, or in other roles.